Friday, June 27, 2014

Setup is unable to connect to SQL Server Port 1433

Hi All,

I was trying to install System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager on Server 2008 R2 OS. During the installation i encountered an issue with SQL Server connectivity. I was quite surprised to see this error because I installed the SQL on same server where I was installing the SCCM2012. I followed all the steps that were given in document. To find out what was wrong I started checking the reasons that were suspected On the Database Information wizard screen.




Setup is unable to connect to SQL Server with the connection information provided.  Verify the following:
1.  The SQL Server and instance names are entered correctly
2.  The specified SQL Server instance is not configured to use dynamic ports
3.  If a firewall is enabled on the SQL Server, inbound rules exist to allow connections to the correct ports
4.  The account used to run Setup has permissions to connect to the specified SQL Server instance

As you can see it has given me few details to check with. And then I started checking everything 1 by 1.
For the first issue, I was sure that it could not be the issue because I used the default instance and not the custom one, so now one down…
For the second issue, SQL Server instance is not configured to use dynamic ports  Smile what that means!! Lol  This was the issue…. I will talk about in next step
For the third issue I have manually created Firewall Port exception. Also SQL Server was the same server on which I was installing sccm 2012 so big no to this point.
For the last issue I have used the default system account that SQL Server 2012 configured so this was also ruled out.

Now, let’s come back to Point 2 i.e. The specified SQL Server instance is not configured to use dynamic ports. In this example, this is the reason we are getting the error when using the Named Instance. Also “Named pipes” was disabled I enabled it as well. J to avoid further MP communication issue J

Here is the Resolution :

1.      Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager console

3.      In SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration. Click on Protocols for SCCM(SCCM is your Named Instance)
In the right side pane, right click on the TCP/IP (Status Enabled) and click on Properties




5.  In that click on IP Addresses tab. Scroll down to the bottom & make a change to IPALL. TCP Dynamic Ports -> Blank. TCP Port -> 1433 (as this is our default port for SQL Server Database Connection). Click on Apply.



6.  And notice that you need to restart SQL Server (SCCM) Service..



7.        To restart a service. Click on SQL Server Service. Right click on Instance Name: SQL Server (SCCM) and click on Restart. Wait for few seconds.




After that setup SCCM 2012 installed and I was happy to see the 2012 console. J

Hope This Will Help!!!
Amarpal Singh

3 comments:

  1. all is that i done but also the meassage appear
    what can i do plz.
    tell me wher i can find my error

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I am trying to install the sccm 2012 and the prerequisite checker is giving error message:

      "Configuration manager primary site and central site don't support SQL server express"

      Delete